- Understand the pathology and molecular mechanisms involved in obesity and obesity-enhanced diseases such as certain cancers.
- Research the role of nutrients and/or bioactive compounds on obesity-enhanced diseases, and investigate the regulatory mechanisms.
- Investigate the incorporation of foods that may provide anti-obesity factors, such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables into the diet, with an emphasis on their provision in federal nutrition assistance programs like the National School Lunch Program.
- Evaluate the impact of lifestyle on the gut microbiota in normal weight and obese populations, and study environmental and other factors that might affect energy balance vis-a-vis changes in the gut microflora.
- Examine the implications of the revisions in the Special Supplemental program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) from the standpoint of impact on WIC participant food choice and other behaviors, including breastfeeding initiation and duration, kcal intake, nutrient intake, etc.
CEDA: Campus Environment, Diet and Activity study evaluates the campus environment impact on health related behaviors among college students.
Colon Cancer Prevention with Wine Polyphenolics: Texas red wine’s polyphenols prove to have anticancer effects on colorectal cancer cells.
Development & Testing of a Satiety Beverage Formulated with Fish & Palm Oils: The goal of this study is to develop lipid emulsions composed of various fatty acids and investigate their ability to promote satiety through satiety hormone mechanisms.
NATFAN: National Food and Nutrition Questionnaire to assist National WIC Association in assessing the effectiveness of new WIC food packages.
TEXFAN: Texas Food and Nutrition Questionnaire to assist Texas Department of State Health Services WIC Program in assessing the effectiveness of new WIC food packages.
T-COPPE: Texas Childhood Obesity Prevention Policy Evaluation project to evaluate the impact of two national policies as they are implemented in Texas.
USDA – FNS: Whole Grain Pilot project to evaluate whole grain product availability on school menus.
USDA – NIFA: Middle School Nutrition Education Media project engages the youth of Dallas ISD in developing media products that provide nutrition education.
WIC Kiosk: Texas WIC Kiosk Evaluation Project to design and evaluate a new method for effective nutrition education for WIC participants.